Sumber
Tuesday, 26 June 2012
How to Use Highlighters When You Study
Color Code the Highlighting
In order to know which parts of a book you need to refer to at a
certain time, you may want to use different colors of highlighters to
represent different subjects. For instance, let’s say that you want to
highlight quotes in a book to use later in an essay. You may give each
character of the book a different color, and then you can easily know
which quotes you are looking for when you go back to the book. I did
this when I read The Poisonwood Bible
by Barbara Kingsolver because the book is written from the perspective
of five different characters. Without the color coding system, I don’t
think I would have ever known what was going on when I went back for
quotes.
If
you decide to color code like this, you may also think about getting
book flags to represent the various colors you are using. Then you will
be able to see the quote area from the outside so you can get to it
quickly. If you organize your highlighting like you would anything else,
you may be able to put it to good use.
Highlight Words, Not Sentences
This is a method that an old English teacher of mine used, and I
thought it was pretty helpful in the long run. Rather than highlighting
full sentences in a book, just highlight the words that matter the most.
Let me show you what I mean with the paragraph I just wrote above:
“If you decide to color code like this, you may also think about getting book flags to represent the various colors you are using. Then you will be able to see the quote area from the outside so you can get to it quickly. If you organize your highlighting like you would anything else, you may be able to put it to good use.”
As you can see, I only highlighted the words that I thought captured
the overall purpose of the paragraph. If you do this while you read, you
will be able to remember key words while you study.
Remember Less Is More
When it comes to highlighting something, you have to be careful not
to get carried away. If you highlight full paragraphs in a book, you are
never going to know what you do and do not want to read. It is better
to highlight a little bit of information than it is to highlight
everything you read. You have to emphasize the key points that you want
to remember later on. If you want to doodle all over the place, do so in
a book you don’t need to reference later. That way you leave the study
material clean and ready to go.
Sumber
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
































